HomePublications

The twelfth-century patrons of the Bridekirk font

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

DOI

Authors

Organisational units

Abstract

This paper uses long-neglected evidence – two 12th-century deeds from the archive of St Brigit’s church, Bridekirk, printed by William Dugdale in 1673 – to examine the circumstances which resulted in the building of the first stone church on the site and the carving of the magnificent font. This evidence reveals the combined contribution of two leading laymen of Cumberland, the small body of priests serving the church of St Brigit and the mason, Rikard, and his team of workmen. The result is a study of the interplay of authority, devotion and artistic craftsmanship in one corner of the 12th-century West.

Details

Original languageEnglish
Title of host publicationRomanesque Patrons & Processes
Subtitle of host publicationDesign and Instrumentality in the Art and Architecture of Romanesque Europe
EditorsJordi Camps, Manuel Castineiras, John McNeill, Richard Plant
Place of PublicationLondon & New York
PublisherRoutledge
Chapter12
Pages291-312
Number of pages22
ISBN (Electronic)9781351105606
ISBN (Print)9781138477032
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2018

View graph of relations

ID: 176579837

Related by author
  1. The Murder of Gilbert the Forester

    Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

  2. Henry II's Charter for Adam Nepos of the Sheriff

    Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

  3. Notes and documents Bolton Priory and its Charters

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

  4. La bataille de Tinchebray et les actes d’Henri Ier

    Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

  5. Robert de Vaux and Roger de Stuteville, sheriffs of Northumberland and Cumberland, 1174–1185

    Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter